Home Manager. Momma. Hairstylist. Artist. Lover. Fighter. Everything and anything.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

And then there were four...

I just started this new blog, and I felt the need to include some older from my Tumblr account, hence the "originally posted" posts. I could spend forever getting everyone caught up on my past, but instead I think I'll just move forward from here on out.

In the last year my husband and I have moved 3 times - from Sarnia just after the wedding to Kitchener, where we lived for a good 6 months, then from Kitchener to my father-in-law's house in Wallaceburg, and just recently now into our own apartment in Wallaceburg. We plan to stay put for awhile now I hope. Hah. 

The reason for this move has to do with a number of things, but predominantly  that some issues had risen with my sister Jessica in regards to hanging out with the wrong group of kids and school, among other things which I do not care to share with the world - nor would she likely appreciate. She’s in need of a life change to get back on track as she is a really good person, who just has made some not so good decisions recently, so she moved in with us.

This has been a big change for all of us. For her, having moved 9 hours away from everything she’s ever known, leaving her boyfriend behind, etc. And for us - adding another person to our family unit who happens to be a 15 year old… Anyone with teenagers or siblings this age knows what benefits and downfalls this can include.

I think the difference will be the fact that I am her sister, though I did help raise her. See, our parents split when she was only two. Our mother wanted to take the youngest two, leaving my dad with the eldest two. Well my father would not separate us(which I am really thankful for), so he ended up with all four of us. I being 10 years older than my sister, and with our father working, I took over the role of the ‘mother’ for my younger sister and brother, as we only saw ours every other weekend.

Because of this, I have a huge advantage in helping her out. She has a different form of respect for me than our father because she looks up to me, like most younger siblings do. I think because of this, we won’t be dealing with disrespect and back talk that most parents receive from their teens. At least I can hope. Hah.

We decided on an apartment with 3 bedrooms, and 1.5 bath. It’s a 2 floor walk up building with a huge park right next door. Nearly everything we need is in walking distance. It’s perfect. Because we still cosleep, Pinxit is rooming with us, so the third room is our art and tattoo room - we are very excited about this. Emmanuel has a lot of customers here, so it’s nice to have a place where he can just have all his things set up, that he doesn’t have to pack up all the time(like at our last place where he had to work out of the kitchen - wow that sounds so ghetto…). 

And I’m excited to have a place where I can start a project and not have to pack it up if I’m interrupted by a certain little one… Where I can just close the door and come back to it later. I think it will help me complete more projects because now I really can just work on something for 5 or 10 minutes at a time, rather than needing to ‘book’ creative time into my day - which anyone who does anything artistic knows that’s really not how creativity works. Hah. I have projects from 3 years ago that need to be started/finished… 

I'm so excited to have our own place again!

No comments:

Post a Comment